The aim of this essay is to talk about the top 20 Eco Friendly Clothing Fabrics.
Firstly,before introduce the top 20 Eco Friendly Clothing Fabrics, i want to know the advantage of sustainable clothing.
the advantage of sustainable clothing:
- Easy to care for
- Most have nature ‘ ingredients’ , like UV and insect repellents.
- Durable and Strong
- Timeless styles:never go out of style, after all, eco clothing has been worn for over 1 million years.
Top 20 Eco-Friendly Clothing Materials:
- Ogranic Cotton:This is cotton grown without toxic pesticides or fertilizers. Organic Cotton is grown under Fair Trade Guidelines and is biodegradable and compostable.
- Hemp: Hemp plants are made from the Cannabis sativa plant. Strong, naturally UV resistant and biodegradable and compost able.
- Bamboo: Bamboo grows very fast thus no pesticides are necessary.
- Soy: Soy Silk is made from the products of soy manufacturers, thus using post consumer resources. Is biodegradable and compost able.
- Tencell/Lyocell:Made from wood pulp from fast growing trees.
- Ogranic Wool: Is a great resource, providing how they are raised and treated.
- Ingeo:Man Made Fiber derived from Corn
- Calico/ Muslim: Fabric made from unbleached cotton.
- Hessian Cloth: Woven Fabric made from jute or hemp.
- Recycled Polyester
- Organic Linen
- EcoSpun which is a trademark name: Fabric Made from plastic containers. But there are many companies such as Prana who also produce clothing from recycled bottles.
- Nettle Fiber: Made from stinging nettle a weed.
- Spider Web Fabric
- Milk silk
- Made with recycled materials.
Recycled Material Trivia:
- Fleece jackets. About 25 two-liter plastic pop bottles can be used to make one fleece pullover. About 15 will produce a fleece vest.
- T-shirts. Pop bottles can be recycled into a smoother polyester for use in T-shirts and other clothes.
Some materials we are similar, but some are not. like corn, milk silk, soy, trying to become a good designer should be similar with these materials.These kind of material not only achieve environment friendly, but also can give you some ideas, When i first heard about milk silk, quiet new for me, how can milk to make cloth??maybe think about it, will give you some inspiration.